Audio computer and musicians: Audio computers are essential tools for producing music today. A powerful machine is needed to run today’s audio applications. Knowing which components to put in a pc is crucial. There is no mystery if you know simple guidelines and where to look to choose the right parts.
Essentially we have 2 choices: Mac or Windows machines.
- Mac machines are preferred by professional musicians. Mostly because the operating system is easy to manage. This ensures quality but for a price. Generally, Mac machines cost 30% higher.
- Windows machines on the other side are more democratic. You can buy a really cheap box or you equivalent to the Apple machine. You must know which components to put in the machine.
- The computer market is a fast-changing one. A good machine can last 2 or 3 years before being outdated. So each time you buy a new machine, you must look after the recent developments and choose proven quality parts.
- The basic components are the motherboard, the CPU, the memory and the disk drives. To that, you add a sound card for the music.
- The most important part is the motherboard. Everything is attached to it, so his architecture is of prime importance. There must be fewer bottlenecks as possible for transferring data from everywhere. So a good machine is built around his motherboard. Next, you can choose the speed of the CPU, the quantity of memory, and the disks drive.
- A pc should have at least 2 disks drive. One for the OS and one for audio data. This helps audio streaming without a glitch.
- Choosing a CPU is only a money-wise question. The fastest is always very high priced. You may pick the one marked reasonably.
- Today’s applications need a lot of memory. But window OS is only supporting 2 gigs of ram. So the answer is easy.
- Another thing is the noise factor. These machines run hot and need a fan to cool them. The market offers different solutions with silent cases, high-quality fans, etc. Some sites are specializing in silent pc.
This was for the general considerations.
You do not have to build a pc yourself, but have it built by the local computer store that is willing to give you good service.
If you know which components you want in the machine, it is easy for them to build it for you.
Also, there are companies that specialize in building an audio computer: “DAW”. Different configurations are available and adapted to the software and sound card of your choice.
But if you want to build or have built your computer, where do you look for the right components?
From these companies who specialize in building digital audio workstation. Surf their site and look at which components they use. Mostly the motherboard. The stability and ability to stress the machine begin there.
Surf software and sound card sites you use and find relevant info and links on computer requirements.
For example, I use Creamware cards. Those devices need very good chipset architecture on the motherboard. When is time for me to upgrade my pc?
I surf Planet Z a site related to Creamware. In the hardware section, I always find working pc configurations.
Click here: Planet Z
Forums are a good place to grab info. Surf forums related to your application, sound card, sound library etc, and read topics on hardware. You can find judicious threads and post your questions to fellow musicians there.
Click here: forums
You can also follow daily reports on the industry at sites like ” tom’s hardware”, “AnandTech”, or “price watch”.
Click here: Tom’s hardware
This was basic knowledge. Computers are formidable tools. High-quality audio productions are possible for everyone.